Garage doors are integral parts of homes as they provide people with a means to keep their vehicles safe from the elements. In addition, these doors allow homeowners to spend less time going outside and warming up or cooling down their cars.
Unfortunately, garage doors tend to wear out easily because they have so many moving parts that work together to function. Here are some tips on how to keep your garage door in optimum condition as well as its components:
1. Use Aluminum for your Garage Door’s Track
There are many types of materials that can be used in the construction of garage doors. However, aluminum is among the most popular because it tends to remain free from rust for a very long time.
On the other hand, steel often gives way to rust and corrosion deposits after being exposed to water for just a short period. This can have a deteriorating effect on your garage door’s track and its bottom seal edge, which both come in contact with water from rainfall.
2. Cover Your Garage Door Openers
When exposed to cold air and water vapor, the electrical components inside garage door openers become corroded, ultimately hindering their function. You should take care to cover your automatic door openers whenever you store your vehicle in a garage that is exposed to the elements, such as during winter. Housing them inside an enclosed space such as a cabinet or locker also helps protect them from corrosion.
3. Replace the Springs
Spring replacement is a critical aspect of your garage door’s upkeep. The springs are under extreme tension and carry most of the weight during the opening and closing of the door, so it makes sense that they wear out before most other parts do.
It takes a lot of pressure to lift an extremely heavy door, especially if it’s a large door, and you shouldn’t attempt to do it yourself. Inifinitegaragedoors.com.au believes a spring replacement should be performed by a professional who is well-versed in all aspects of garage door maintenance.
4. Schedule Regular Maintenance
An aspect that many people don’t think about when looking for things to improve the life of your garage door is maintenance. Maintenance isn’t as important as springs for the garage door’s service life, but it is still an important part of upkeep. These can include:
- Lubricating the garage doors’ wheels
- Replacing the rollers if they become worn or damaged (such as with rust)
- Changing out weather seals, which may have been previously damaged
- Inspecting the track (over time, the track can become bent or damaged if something heavy has fallen on it, such as with a shelf, or if you’ve hit it to bring your car in with too much force)
5. Adjust Chain Tension
If the door has a chain that’s supposed to pull it shut when unlatched, this chain can wear out over time if not properly maintained. Make sure to tighten them every once in a while to keep them from snapping or breaking.
6. Test the Door Sensors
Garage door sensors are great for preventing damage to your car; it’s unlikely that you’ll seriously damage your car with a garage door if they work properly.
How do you test the sensors? Here are some ideas:
- When you park your car, shut the door, use either your remote control or your normally-open button to make sure the garage door closes. Testing this way will prevent damage if it’s working properly.
- You can also try opening and closing the door manually with the sensors on occasionally to ensure they are working correctly.
7. Keep the Spring Torsion Balanced
Your garage door’s springs play a huge role in allowing the door to open and close correctly, and if they’re out of balance, you’ll feel it every time you use your garage door. If you notice that the springs aren’t balanced, look for signs such as:
- One side is sagging.
- One side is more difficult to open or close than the other.
8. Check Weather Seals
If you live somewhere that has extreme weather changes, then chances are you’ll want to check and replace weather seals on occasion. This is also true if you’ve had any damage to your garage door, especially by high winds or other objects.
Garage doors are an essential part of your house, protecting your vehicles and other valuables inside. Generally, they are very dependable and will last a long time if you take proper care of them.
These best practices for increasing the life of your garage door are simple to follow and can make all the difference in whether your garage door outlives its usefulness.